Sunday, January 15, 2006

Coughs and bums

Last week wasn't so exciting, I got a bit sick so I spent most of the time at home sniffing, coughing, preparing tea with honey, and other superstitious stuff that's supposed to get you better. So basicly I worked somewhat and didn't get better.

So after a week of screen-book-wall staring I got sick of all that and decided it was about time to go out again, regardless of that f***ing cold of mine. Friday night I first went for some drinks with people from my course at the Beaver bar at the LSE campus. A bar that has this kind of "cosy living room" concept to it, but in fact the interior is repulsive, but hell, who cares about it if the drinks are cheap.

Then I went to this opening night of a Mexican theatre week in Chelsea. I didn't go to see a play there, and in fact there was nothing more to it than a stereotype Mexican band playing live music and a lot of Spanish-speaking people. But I just happen to like both, and the venue was cool (Royal Court Theatre). I was meeting Soetkin and Sebastian there, the Belgian-Mexican couple with whom I stayed in my first days in London.
I also invited Ruth and Mikko there, a Spanish-Finnish couple. Ruth was my flatmate in Madrid 4 years ago. They moved to London 2 weeks ago so I thought I'd hook'm up with a couple in a similar situation to get to know some people.
In both those couples, the guys are doing their PhD in some engineering stuff at Imperial College and the girls came to London for love and are trying to find a job here. Soetkin worked for a while at the Belgian embassy, got bored with it and now she's volunteering at an NGO in human and woman's rights, and looking for a payed job besides it. Ruth studied law but is quite difficult to find something here with a Spanish law degree so she's gonna start working at MacDo while she keeps looking for something else.
It was nice to see them all back and I could brush up my rusty Spanish and practise all night (it still went surprisingly ok). Next weekend we'll probably go a bit to the outskirts of London walking along the river and in some parks. Now all we need is a baby carriage to push forward and we'll blend in just fine on a Sunday afternoon stroll... ;)

Saterday night
's alright for party I thought, and I felt like getting some action to get rid of that cold of mine. So first I went to the National Film Institute with a bunch of people. We got to see the Ipcress File as part of a Michael Caine cycle. Nice flick, great cinematography, good acting by Caine and a surprising story line. It's kind of a anti macho James Bond espionnage film and it has this great sixties feeling to it that I just love in films.
Later that night me and my party buddy Max -the Dutch clubmonster- hooked up to some IR people to go to Old Street. We went to the Medicine bar, about which I had heard quite some already but it was disappointing: awfully quiet for a Saterday night in Old Street (a pitty of the entrance fee, luckily I had a reduction with my NUS card, damage: £4). So we managed to get the group moving. Of course Max wanted to go to a proper club, but none of us wanted to cough up £ 10 for just 1,5 hours till they would close around 3.
Back to one of my favorites then: The Legion! Good edgy rock music, crowded, nice birds and no entrance fee: guaranteed fun each time.
I don't wanne spare you one of the nice sights on our way home. The pics are not so good but I guess you can make something of it.

It's not freezing anymore but still far from warm, however some girls just don't care! Those thrashy English rock chicks, ah, just great to go out around Old St.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lieven!!!
Llevaba ya tiempo sin leer tu blog, ya sabes, exámenes...
Me alegra ver que has escrito y saber cosillas de ti :)
Espero que Nico y yo vayamos a visitarte pronto, ya te avisaremos para que nos digas cuando te viene mejor.
Muchos besos y ya me contarás como fueron esos exámenes.
Muaaaaaaaa

Sunday, January 29, 2006 9:15:00 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home