Friday, September 23, 2005

Strolling around in the city

With the most important thing for this week done, that is getting registred, I am taking my time to get around in the city.
Well, what a city it is, Brussels seems like a smalltown village next to it, London is huge, it is crowded and buzzing all the time. Now I'm still just going along with the crowdsm trying to find my way but I hope I can leave my little map at home pretty soon and start discovering the itchy side of London. So I can impress my visitors with the cool spots I discovered. But that's for later on.
Ik zal van tijd tot tijd ook eens bewijzen dat ik mijn Nederlands nog niet kwijt ben, maar bon, ik wil mijn Engels oefenen op alle manieren en zo kunnen degenen die het Nederlands niet kundig zijn ook af en toe eens meepiepen op deze blog.

So till now I stayed at Soetkin and Sebastians' place. The were living in a little house owned by imperial college where Sebastian is doing his PhD. Soetkin I know from the BTC course on development co-operation in June. She studied Germanic languages and International Relations in Leuven, and then a Master in Human Rights in Manchester. My kind of person thus. Currently she is doing somekind of a payed internship at the Belgian embassy 'cause they need extra people for the UK presidency of the EU.
Sebastian is from Mexico and he met up with Soetkin in Manchester last year, than he came London for his PhD (doctoraat in het schoon Vlaamsch).
They were kind enough to let me stay at their place for a couple of days, but tomorrow they have to move out because Imperial college only provides rooms for first year students. They had quite some trouble finding a new place but now they'll (temporarly) rent a room from a colleague of Soetkin some 8 km out of the centre.

So tonight I'm moving again with my two too heavy backpacks to Helga's place. She's incredible, I only saw her for the first time yesterday and she already gave me the keys to her flat. I know her through my cousin who lived in London several years ago and he got us into touch. After couple of very helpfull mails on how to get started in Londen she offered me a spare sofa-bed in her place. I saw her for 5 minutes yesterday, she seems like a very nice person, I'll get to know her better very soon. Tonight though she won't be in, so I'll even have her place to myself!

I should get somekind of a digital camera to freshen these pages up with some pictures of the people and things I'm writing on.

I'll leave it with that for the moment, time to go.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home